- Line two large baking sheets with grease proof paper
- Put the hazelnuts into a food processor, blitz to a fine crumb, then add the egg yolk, 50g of Cheddar and the remaining ingredients and blitz again to form a soft dough
- Place a large piece of cling film on your work surface and tip out the sable dough. Bring together with your hands, forming it into a sausage shape about 25cm long. Wrap tightly in the cling film, pinch each end between your fingers and roll along the work surface to form a firm roll
- Unwrap the roll and brush it with a little of the remaining egg white and sprinkle the remaining 25g of Cheddar over it. Re-roll in the cling film and freeze for 20 minutes, or until firm (do not freeze it)
- Preheat your oven to 180c/gas mark 4
- Unwrap the roll of sable dough and cut it into 5mm thick rounds with a sharp knife, placing them on the baking sheets as you go
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until just golden, leave to cool on the tray before serving with slices of Castello Tickler Cheddar. It'll keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
Recipe from Castello.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Savoury Christmas biscuits with a difference- goes great with cheese
200g plain flour 100g butter, softened 75g Cheddar finely grated 60g hazelnuts 2 large eggs, one whole and one separated into yolk and white Salt and pepper
Time: 15 minutes Serves: 32 biscuits Nutrition: n/a