750g (26.6 oz) plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice
225g (7.9 oz) butter
½ tsp salt
115g (4 oz) light soft brown sugar
350g (12.3 oz) black treacle
500g (17.6 oz) royal icing sugar mix
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl.
- Over a gentle heat, stir the butter, salt, sugar and treacle together until smooth; add to the bowl and mix to a dough. On a floured surface, roll out to 5mm thick.
- Using the templates, cut out 4 walls and 2 roof panels; cut a door out of the front wall. There should be enough dough left to make 12 gingerbread men.
- Space out on lined baking sheets. Bake for 12–15 minutes, until the edges are darker brown than the centre. Cool for 5 minutes, then move to a wire rack.
- Add 3–4 tbsp cold water to the icing mix and whip with an electric whisk for 8 minutes, until peaks form. Transfer half to a piping bag (try using Cooks' Homebaking disposable icing bags) with a small nozzle and use it to stick the 4 walls of the house together.
- Stand the house on a plate and use full tin cans to prop the walls up until the icing dries. Pipe more icing along the top of the 4 walls, stick on the roof and leave to dry. Stick the door on.
- Put the remaining icing in a new piping bag with a fine nozzle to add icing details to the roof and walls.
Preparation time: 40 mins
Makes: 1 house and 12 gingerbread men
- Energy 874.456kJ
- Saturated Fat3.0g