- Tip all the dry ingredients in to a large mixing bowl and add water and oil.
- Use your hands to combine the ingredients, forming a soft dough. Knead until dough is smooth. Make sure the mixture is not too firm and not too runny.
- Cover the bowl and leave in a warm, draught-free place for 1-2 hours or until the dough rises.
- Preheat the oven to 190oC / Gas Mark 5.
- Put greased foil in a medium baking tray and then place the dough on top. Cover the top of the dough again using greased foil.
- Place in your pre-heated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Prepare another tray and cover it with a tea towel.
- Take the bread from the oven and cool for 3 minutes, then remove the bread and put it onto the other tray.
- Finally, wait for about 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe for SPANA World Tea Party on 11 July, which is supported by Joanna Lumley. SPANA is asking everyone to hold a Moroccan mint tea party, Ethiopian coffee morning or other world-themed tea party this summer to help raise funds for the charity, which provides free veterinary treatment for working animals in developing countries. Order your “SPANA World Tea Party” fundraising pack by visiting www.spana.org/tea-party or by calling 020 7831 3999.
There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday
In Ethiopia a giant bread (or defo dabo) would be baked by the women of the household and kept ready for serving at coffee time
850g (30 oz) self raising flour 7g (1?4 oz) easy bake/dried yeast (one sachet) 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking powder 2 tablespoon sugar 1 tablespoon black cumin (seeds) 60ml (2 fl oz) sunflower oil 700ml (11?4 pint) water
Time: 2 hr Serves: 20 slices Nutrition: n/a