- Warm the milk in a pan until just before it reaches boiling point.
- Place the yeast, milk, 1 tbsp caster sugar and 1 ½ tbsp lukewarm water in a large bowl and set aside in a warm place for about 10 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Add the butter, flour, eggs and the remaining sugar to the yeast mixture and mix to a sticky dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and it feels springy to the touch.
- Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a cloth and set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, make the orange curd. Put all the ingredients in a bowl, stir together, and set over a pan of simmering water (the bowl must not touch the water).
- Using a wooden spoon, stir for about 30 minutes, or until the curd is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Set aside to cool.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Roll out to 1cm thick and use a 6.5cm round cutter to stamp out rounds until all the dough has been used.
- Place the rounds on a lined baking tray and set aside for 30 minutes or until risen.
- Heat the oil in a large pan until it reaches 190C, or a cube of bread sizzles and turns golden in 30 seconds.
- Fry the dough balls in batches for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain onto kitchen paper. Toss in the sugar and leave to cool.
- Spoon the orange curd into a piping bag with a small round nozzle (or snip the end of a disposable bag).
- Use a wooden skewer to make a hole in the side of each doughnut.
- Push the piping bag into the hole and fill with about a teaspoon of curd.
- Serve warm or cold with any leftover orange curd.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Try swapping oranges for lemons to make lemon curd filled doughnuts
2 tsp Active dry yeast 125ml Milk 2 tbsp Caster sugar (super fine), plus extra for coating 50g Unsalted butter, cut into small pieces 340g Plain flour, plus extra for kneading 2 Large eggs, lightly whisked 300ml Vegetable oil 50ml Juice of a large orange 1 tsp Nielsen-Massey Orange Blossom Water (or similar) Pinch of salt 50g Golden caster sugar 50g Butter, melted 2 Large free range egg yolks
Time: 40 mins Serves: 8 Nutrition: n/a