- Grease three 6” (15.2cm) round loose bottom cake tins and line with parchment paper. Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and continue to whisk after each addition. Add the vanilla extract followed by the flour
- Fold in the yogurt and blueberries ensuring good distribution
- Pour the mixture into the cake tins evenly and bake until risen, golden brown and springy to touch. Insert a cake tester into the centre of each cake and if it comes out clean the cakes are cooked
- Transfer the cakes to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before removing from the tins
- To make the lavender syrup, take a small pan and add all the ingredients, simmer on high heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool
- To make the lavender and blueberry icing, beat the butter with the icing sugar until a paste is formed. Add the yogurt and mix in. If the icing paste seems stiff, add a drop of milk.
- Add the food colouring and continue to beat on high speed ensuring all the colour is incorporated and the mixture is not streaky
- To assemble take each cake, remove the parchment paper and place onto the serving plate, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of lavender syrup, allow to soak into the cake then spread a quarter of the icing onto the cake, spreading it to the edges, using a palette knife.
- Repeat this process with the second and third cake, layering with syrup and then icing.
- With the remaining icing – ice the top and sides of the cake and spread smoothly.
- Decorate with fresh lavender sprigs (if available) or with lavender sugar (widely available in stores such as Lakeland or major supermarkets)
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Decorate this showstopping cake with fresh lavender
175g unsalted butter, room temperature 175g caster sugar 3 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract 225g self raising flour, sieved 150g Rachel's Greek Style low fat natural yogurt (or similar) 150g fresh blueberries` 60g caster sugar 40ml water 3 sprigs of fresh lavender including flowers 250g unsalted butter, room temperature 750g icing sugar, sieved 75g Rachel's fat free blueberry yogurt Drop of milk 10g violet food colouring Fresh Lavender or lavender sugar
Time: 1 1/2 hr Serves: 12 Nutrition: n/a