- 60g (2 oz) unsalted butter
- 170g (6 oz) golden caster sugar
- 30g (1 oz) plain flour
- 150ml (5 fl oz) double cream
- 115g (4 oz) flaked almonds
- 115g (4 oz) whole toasted almonds or pecans, roughly chopped
- 85g (3 oz) flaked coconut
- 85g (3 oz) dried apricots, chopped
- 60g (2 oz) dried cherries
- 200g (7 oz) dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan (190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5).
- Melt the butter with the sugar in a saucepan over a low heat. When the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is golden and bubbling, add the flour and mix until smooth over a low heat. Remove from the heat and slowly add the cream, stirring the whole time until smooth and glossy.
- Add the flaked almonds, chopped almonds or pecans, coconut flakes, apricots and cherries and mix well until everything is combined and covered with the creamy mixture.
- Line four baking sheets with greaseproof paper. Drop the mixture in heaped teaspoonfuls on to the greaseproof paper, ensuring there is about 2cm between each heap of mixture.
- Place in the preheated oven near the top and bake for 12–15 minutes (switch the baking sheets around halfway through).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3–4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack – use a flat palette knife to move the Florentines. Leave to cool completely.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth. Coat the flat underside of each Florentine with chocolate and allow to set slightly before zigzagging a fork across the chocolate to make a pattern. Then leave chocolate-side up, to set completely.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Makes: 38 - 40
Feel free to change the fruit and nuts if you want!