- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/325ºF/Gas Mark 3. Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment. Melt the butter, sugar and syrup together in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl, then stir the melted ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a stiff dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a thickness of about 5mm.
- Stamp shapes out of the dough using Waitrose Cooking Christmas Cookie Cutters or cut round festive templates. Place the shapes onto the lined baking trays and bake, in batches, for 9–10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. While still warm, use a skewer or chopstick to make any holes that you may need to hang up the biscuits with ribbon or string. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix together the icing sugar with a splash of water to make thick icing then drizzle or pipe over the biscuits and decorate with sprinkles. The gingerbread biscuits can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Recipe from www.waitrose.com/recipes
- For more tasty recipes see Yours Magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday
Dust the cutters with flour to help stop the dough sticking when stamping out shapes
125g (4 1/2 oz) essential Waitrose Unsalted Dairy Butter 100g (4oz) dark brown muscovado sugar 4 tbsp golden syrup 325g (12oz) plain flour, plus extra for dusting 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda 2 tsp ground ginger 5 tbsp icing sugar 3 tbsp Cooks' Homebaking Sprinkles, such as White Chocolate Stars, Silver Balls, Pearly 100s & 1000s
Time: 20 mins Serves: 25 Nutrition: n/a