- Heat the oven to 180°C/170°C Fan/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease 2 baking sheets with butter. Sift the flour, ginger and cinnamon into a mixing bowl.
- In a heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter, sugar, black treacle and golden syrup over low heat. Do not allow to boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the orange rind. Pour the butter mixture into the flour and mix thoroughly to form a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough to approximately 6mm/ ¼" thick and cut 10-12 large shapes, or 25 small shapes, re-rolling the dough when necessary.
- Cook for 6-10 minutes until just set and beginning to brown. Using a palette knife carefully lift the gingerbread men and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- For the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a small bowl and add the orange juice or water a teaspoon at a time until you get a smooth icing that runs off in thick ribbons. Using a piping bag or free hand decorate the gingerbread men with the icing and dried cranberries.
Recipe from Ocean Spray®.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
The whole family will love helping to decorate these delicious biscuits
200g self-raising flour 2 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp cinnamon 50g butter 50g dark brown soft sugar 2 tbsp black treacle 1 tbsp golden syrup 1 finely grated zest of orange For the icing: 100g icing sugar, sieved Approx. 1 tbsp orange juice or water Dried Cranberries - to decorate
Time: 30 minutes Serves: 10-12 Nutrition: n/a