- Start by making the buttercream:Whisk the butter and icing sugar for 2 –3 minutes, until well blended, add the vanilla and whisk for 30 – 60 seconds and then chill.
- Start on the cookies themselves by preheating the oven to 180°c/Gas 4.
- In a bowl cream together the butter and sugar until the mixture is pale, light and fluffy. Beat in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, sift the baking powder, matcha powder and flour and add in the wet ingredients in two parts. The dough will be very stiff. As the dough comes together, remove from the bowl and continue to knead by hand.
- Split the dough into manageable pieces and roll to around ¼ inch thickness and cut out star shapes in the various sizes. If you are making multiple trees make sure there is the same amount of each size.
- Bake in preheated oven for 6-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. When firm enough transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, fill a piping bag with buttercream and cut a small hole in the end (use a small round nozzle if you prefer).e
- Finally, you need to assemble. Lay the largest star shape first; pipe around 5mm from the edge of the cookie all the way around then fill the rest. Stack the second largest star shape on top as you wish, either directly or so the pointed edges fill the gaps in the cookie below, repeat this all the way up the second smallest star shape. Pipe as before but place the final star vertical to sit on top of the ‘tree’.
Recipe from Lurpak® Baking.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Spoil friends and family with a show stopping cookie tower this Christmas for a unique festive treat that's sure to impress
100g butter 225g granulated white sugar 2 eggs 2 tsp baking powder 15g matcha green tea powder for colour (optional) 360g plain flour For buttercream 300g butter 600g icing sugar ¼ tsp vanilla extract
Time: 10 minutes Serves: 15 Nutrition: n/a