- Preheat your oven to 200?C/400?F/Gas Mark 6.
- Grease a Swiss roll tin, then line it with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, happy eggs and happy egg yolks together until thick and creamy. Add the flour and cocoa powder and carefully fold into the mixture, trying to retain as much air as possible. Pour the mixture carefully into the Swiss roll tin, ensuring an even cover.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Take a large sheet of baking parchment, dust it with caster sugar and orange zest, then turn the sponge out onto it. Trim the edges with a knife. Roll the sponge from one end leaving the paper in the middle. Cool on a wire rack.
- Whisk the happy egg whites and caster sugar until they form soft peaks i.e. when you make a peak, the tips droop.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a plastic bowl with the butter. Heat in a microwave for 30 seconds, leave for 20 seconds and then beat with a whisk. If the chocolate is not completely melted, heat in the microwave for 10 second bursts until the chocolate is just melted.
- Add 1/3 of the beaten happy egg whites to the chocolate and combine using an electric beater. Do this quickly; the chocolate will begin to set and form hard lumps, so don’t worry about retaining the air in the mixture. Now combine the other 2/3 of the happy egg whites by gently folding with a spoon until the mixture is a smooth consistency. Place the whole mixture in the fridge to set.
- Unroll the sponge and remove the baking parchment. Spread the chocolate filling over the surface of the sponge to about ¼ inch thick. Roll the cake up.
- This delicious recipe was made using happy eggs. The happy egg co. are committed to providing the highest possible standard of welfare for their hens, with the belief that happier hens lay tastier eggs. For more mouth-watering recipes, visit www.thehappyegg.co.uk
Make this tasty yule log a few days before Christmas!
CHOCOLATE ROLL: 75g caster sugar 3 happy eggs 2 happy egg yolks 75g plain flour (sieved) 25g cocoa powder (sieved) Zest of one orange CHOCOLATE FILLING: 6 happy egg whites 30g caster sugar 120g 72% dark chocolate 20g butter
Time: 20 mins Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a