- First make up the cookie mixture. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy and well blended. Beat in the egg yolk and caramel flavour.
- Sift the flour and baking powder on top and add the chocolate chips. Mix together to form a fairly firm dough.
- Form 200g (7oz) of the dough into 12 balls the size of large marbles. Put on a lined plate, cover and chill until required. These will be used in your cake mix. Divide the remaining cookie dough into 20 small pieces and form into balls.
- Place on the baking tray, spaced a little apart and chill until required. These will be baked into mini cookies for decoration.
- Now make the cake mixture. Preheat the oven to 180?C (160?C fan assisted oven, 350?F, gas mark 4). Line 12 muffin tins with the muffin cases.
- Put the margarine, sugar, vanilla extract and eggs in a bowl. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder on top and whisk all the ingredients together until well blended.
- Spoon half the mixture into the cases and push a large marble sized ball of cookie dough into the centre of each. Spoon over the remaining cake mix to cover the cookie dough. Bake for 22-24 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Raise the oven temperature to 190?C (170?C fan assisted oven, 375?F, gas mark 5). Bake the remaining cookie dough balls for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To decorate, make the buttercream. Put the butter in a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar until smooth and creamy. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Spread a generous amount of buttercream on top of each cake and decorate with a few chocolate chips. Gently press a mini cookie into the top of each cake to serve, and accompany with the remaining cookies on the side.
- Recipes from Dr. Oetker
- There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
If you love cookies and cakes this is the perfect bake for you!
For the cookie dough: 100g (3 1/2oz) unsalted butter 75g (3oz) caster sugar 1 medium egg yolk 1 tsp Dr. Oetker caramel flavour 125g (4 1/2 oz) plain flour 1 x Dr. Oetker baking powder sachet 100g (4oz) Dr. Oetker dark chocolate chips For the cake mix: 12 x Dr. Oetker muffin cases 150g (5oz) margarine 150g (5oz) caster sugar 1 tsp Dr. Oetker madagascan vanilla paste 3 medium eggs, beaten 150g (5oz) plain flour 1 x sachet Dr. Oetker fine dark cocoa powder 2 x Dr. Oetker Baking Powder Sachets To decorate: 150g (5oz) unsalted butter, softened 275g (9 1/2 oz)Icing Sugar 1 tsp Dr. Oetker Madagascan vanilla extract 10g (1/2oz) Dr. Oetker dark chocolate chips (to decorate)
Time: 1 hour Serves: 12 Nutrition: n/a