- Pre-heat the oven to 190?C/350?F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line an eight inch round loose bottom or spring- form tin and line with a disc of greaseproof paper.
- Blend the beetroot in a food processer until a rough puree is achieved.
- Carefully melt the chocolate and hot espresso coffee, in a bowl suspended over a pan of boiling water.
- Add the butter into the bowl to allow it to soften slightly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Sift the flour into the into chocolate and butter mixture, before adding the ground almonds, baking powder and cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Separate the eggs, then whisk the egg yolks in a bowl until pale and creamy. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks are formed and then add in the sugar.
- Stir the beetroot puree into the beaten egg yolks, before adding the chocolate mixture from step 5 into the bowl. Fold gently, add the yogurt and stir again.
- Add the egg white and sugar mix and gently fold in until all the ingredients are fully combined to form your cake mixture.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes (or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean) Allow the cake to completely cool in the tin and then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Remove the greaseproof paper if necessary.
- To make the chocolate ganache, break the chocolate chunks into a bowl. Gently heat the cream until just boiling, remove from the heat and then pour the hot cream over the chocolate pieces. Continue to stir until the chocolate is entirely melted.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the cake and allow to flow across the top and down the sides. Use a palette knife to help achieve a smooth, even texture.
- Allow to set, leaving overnight for best results.
Recipe from Rachel's Organic.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
A devilishly dark chocolate cake with a secret ingredient.
250g fresh, cooked and peeled beetroot 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) 4tbsp hot espresso coffee 200g butter 110g plain flour 25g ground almonds 1tsp baking powder 3tbsp cocoa powder 5 eggs, separated 190g golden caster sugar 80g low fat vanilla yoghurt Chocolate Ganache: 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) 285ml double cream
Time: 1 hour Serves: 8-10 slices Nutrition: n/a