- Pre-heat oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Line a 20cm deep cake tin with greased non-stick baking paper.
- Place the cherry halves in a small bowl and coat with 1 tbsp of the flour. Place to one side.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and cream together. Add the almond essence and then gradually add the eggs, beating well in between each addition. Stir in 60g of flaked almonds and the lemon rind.
- Fold in both flours and then gently fold in the cherries. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface
- Sprinkle the remaining almonds over the surface and bake for 1 hr 10 mins until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Lightly dust with icing sugar before serving.
Recipe from Opies Foods.
For more makes and bakes, grab the latest copy of Yours.
By using cocktail cherries you add depth to the almondy taste
100g butter 175g caster sugar 2 tsp almond essence 3 eggs beaten 75g flaked almonds 1 Lemon, grated rind 100g Plain Flour 100g Self-Raising Flour 200g Cocktail Cherries in Maraschino Liqueur (drained and cut in half)
Time: 10 minutes Serves: 8 Nutrition: n/a