- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Lightly butter and flour a 1.4ltr (2½pt) pudding basin and line the base with a circle of greaseproof paper
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy
- Gradually beat in the eggs, vanilla and the orange rind then sift in the flour and ground cinnamon and fold in until well combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pudding basin.
- Bake for 45 mins – 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn out the cake, discard the paper and leave to cool completely.
- Beat together the remaining butter with the icing sugar until creamy. Then stir in the food colouring and mix well.
- Arrange the cake on a board or plate and cover completely with the orange icing. Arrange the chocolate matchsticks on the top of the icing to make the cake look like a bonfire. Just before serving put the indoor sparklers on top and light for a great bonfire effect.
This recipe is from Kerrygold Butter who have created a seasonal combination of buttery sponge cake, zesty orange and sweet cinnamon to celebrate bonfire night.
For more baking recipes and sesonal dishes, grab the latest issue of Yours, out every fornight.
Add some orange icing and some sparklers for a fiery appearance and a spectacular finish
175g (6oz) kerrygold butter, softened 175g (6oz) golden caster sugar 3 medium eggs, beaten 1tsp vanilla extract finely grated zest of 1 orange 225g (8oz) self-raising flour 1tsp ground cinnamon 225g (8oz) icing sugar, sifted 100g (4oz) kerrygold block butter, softened 1tsp orange food colouring
Time: 25-30 mins Serves: 8 Nutrition: n/a