- Preheat the oven to 170oC (150oC fan assisted), Gas Mark 3. Grease and base line a 23cm (9inch) springform tin. Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl or food processor then add the orange rind and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Mix the polenta, flour, baking powder and ground almonds in a bowl. Gradually mix alternate spoonfuls of beaten egg and the polenta mix into the creamed butter and sugar and beat well after each addition until smooth once more.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons orange juice and the orange flour water, if using. Spoon into the lined tin and sprinkle the blueberries over the top.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until the cake is well risen, cracked slightly on top and a skewer comes out cleanly when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Mix 50g (2oz) of the remaining sugar with 3 tablespoons of orange juice together in a bowl. Remove the cake from the tin and put on to a cooling rack, peeling away the lining paper and set the rack over a plate. Skewer the top of the cake then drizzle over the orange syrup and sprinkle with the pistachios. Leave to cool.
- When ready to serve, mix the mascarpone with the grated rind of ½ an orange rind and the rest of the sugar then gradually mix in 2 tablespoons of orange juice and the liqueur.
- Transfer the cake to a board, top with extra blueberries then cut into thin slices. Serve with spoonfuls of the mascarpone mix.
Cook's tip: The cake freezes well wrapped in baking paper and foil up to one month. Defrost at room temperature for 3 hours then serve.
Recipe from Seasonal Berries.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Delicious when served with a spoonful of mascarpone flavoured with your favourite orange liqueur
125g (41/2 oz) butter, at room temperature 125g (41/2 oz) caster sugar 1 orange, grated rind and 3 tablespoons of the juice (about ½ an orange) 75g (3oz) polenta 75g (3oz) self-raising flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 50g (2oz) ground almonds 2 medium eggs, beaten 1 tablespoon orange flower water, optional 150g (5oz) blueberries To finish: 75g (3oz) caster sugar 1 orange, grated rind of half and 5 tablespoons of the juice Few pistachios, sliced 250g (9oz) mascarpone soft cheese 2 tablespoons orange liqueur Extra blueberries to decorate
Time: 30 minutes Serves: 10 Nutrition: n/a