120g (4 ½ oz) Onken Summer Berries Wholegrain Yogurt
120g (4 ½ oz) unsalted butter
40g (1 ½ oz) unsalted butter (for cake topping)
120g (4 ½ oz) granulated sugar
2 large eggs, whisked
1 tsp vanilla extract
295g (10 ½ oz) plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
220g (8oz) blueberries
120g (4 ½ oz) light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
220g (8oz) chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with the granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and add vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into the butter mixture, add yogurt and combine. Gently stir in blueberries.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and walnuts. Pour half the cake batter into a buttered and floured 8 inch baking tin or individual loaf tins. Sprinkle with half the brown sugar mixture and top with the remaining batter.
- Combine the remaining brown sugar mixture with the two tablespoons of butter. The mix will become granular. Sprinkle this on top of the batter.
- Place the cake in the oven and bake until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean (approximately 45 mins for cake tin or 35 mins for individual loaf tins).
- If desired, top with a little lemon icing. Mix 100g (31/2oz) icing sugar and 1 tsp lemon juice. Add more lemon or more sugar to achieve a thick texture and spread over the cooled cake.
Get creative in the kitchen with this summer berry cake, ideal for special occasions – or a Sunday afternoon treat!
Time: 20 minutes