3 eggs, separated
175g (6oz) butter
235g caster sugar
500g (1lb 2oz) full-fat natural yogurt
175g (6oz) plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
250g (9oz) blackberries
5 leaves gelatine, soaked in cold water
250ml (9fl oz) whipping cream, whipped until forming stiff peaks
20g (3/4oz) pistachio nuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/Gas Mark 3. Grease a 39 x 32cm baking tray and sprinkle with flour. Beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt with the whisk of a mixer until forming stiff peaks. Chill.
- Beat the butter and 175g (6oz) sugar with the whisk of a mixer until creamy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Stir in 75g (3oz) yogurt. Stir in the flour and baking powder. Gently fold in the egg whites in 3 batches. Spoon into the tin and smooth out. Bake for 20 mins, until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- In a blender, purée 100g (4oz) blackberries and 30g (1oz) sugar. Squeeze out the gelatine and dissolve in a saucepan set over a low heat. Stir in 50g (2oz) yogurt. Place the remaining yogurt and 30g (1oz) sugar in a bowl and stir in the gelatine mixture. Gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Divide the cream mixture in half and fold the puréed blackberries into one half. Spread the blackberry cream over the sponge, then the remaining cream. Swirl a fork through both to form a marbled effect. Press the remaining blackberries all over the top and chill for 2 hours.
- Cut the cake into 12 squares and sprinkle with the pistachios.
- Recipe from recipes-plus.co.uk
- There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Use any fruit flavoured yogurt you like to create this creamy and colourful cake
Time: 60 mins
Nutrition: 370 cals, Fat 23g