- You will also need a 12-hole muffin lined with paper cake cases and a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda together in a mixing bowl. Stir in the Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar and make a well in the centre.
- Beat the banana, Lyle’s Golden Syrup, vanilla extract and eggs together, then lightly mix into the flour mixture. Stir in the melted butter.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin tins filling to half full. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 12 mins or until well risen and golden. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the caramel for the buttercream next. Combine the Tate & Lyle Golden Caster Sugar and water in a small wide heavy-based pan over a low heat and stir until dissolved for about 2 minutes. Use a pastry brush dipped in water to brush down the sugar crystals on the sides of the pan to stop the caramel from crystallising. Increase the heat to moderate and cook the caramel for 7-9 mins or until rich brown and slightly thickened. Remove, immediately stir in the cream – be careful as it will sputter, then leave to cool completely.
- Cream the butter in a mixing bowl or food processor until soft, then sift over the Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar and mix again until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract and then, by hand, lightly fold in caramel to get a marbled effect. If the caramel has hardened too much just briefly soften it in the microwave to liquefy it again. Spoon the buttercream into the piping bag, pipe decorative swirls on top of the cupcakes and decorate with the banana slices. Arrange on a plate and serve.
This recipe was made using Fairtrade Tate and Lyle Sugars, for further information and delicious recipes, visit www.tasteandsmile.co.uk
For more recipes, grab the latest copy of Yours magazine.
Deliciously moist, you can make these banana cupcakes quickly - they taste just as good without their caramel buttercream and they also freeze well if undecorated
for the cupcakes 210g (7½oz) plain flour 1 rounded tsp baking powder ½ rounded tsp bicarbonate of soda 110g (4oz) Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Light Soft Brown Sugar 110g (4oz) mashed Fairtrade banana, about 1 medium peeled banana 1 tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 large eggs, room temperature 150g (5oz) unsalted butter, melted for the buttercream 125g (4½oz) Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Sugar 1½ tbsp water 5 tbsp double cream 330g (11½oz) unsalted butter, room temperature 400g (14oz) Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Icing Sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 24 slices Fairtrade dried banana
Time: 30 minutes Serves: 12 Nutrition: n/a