In the kitchen:
- Let the sultanas soak in the rum for at least 30 minutes.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl with the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Melt the unsalted butter and in another bowl beat this and the brown sugar until combined well.
- Mix in the egg.
- Mash the bananas and add.
- Chop the walnuts coarsely.
- Stir in the walnuts, rum soaked sultanas and vanilla extract using a wooden spoon.
- Add the flour mixture, a third at a time, whisking constantly.
- Scrape into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper
At the barbecue:
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect heat – approx. 180°C
- Place the pizza stone on the grate and let it preheat. Put the tin on it and bake the banana bread for 25-30 minutes or until firm on top.
- When a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean - it’s done.
- Leave in the tin on a rack to cool.
- Remove from the tin and cut it into six slices.
- Preheat the griddle for 10 minutes. Add a knob of butter to melt.
- Grill the banana bread slices for 2 minutes on each side.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar and serve with ice cream.
- Recipe from Tom and Henry Herbert of TV’s The Fabulous Baker Brothers: A Bite of Britain in conjunction with Weber Barbecue.
- There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
A beautiful barbecue cake
50g sultanas 25ml dark rum 85g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 1?2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 1?2 tsp salt 65g unsalted butter 85g light brown sugar 1 large egg 3 very ripe bananas - 200g without skin 35g walnuts 1?2 tsp vanilla extract 50g butter for the griddle 50g caster sugar
Time: 10 minutes Serves: 1 loaf of bread Nutrition: n/a