- Preheat the oven 180°C/160°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Melt the low fat spread in a pan add the apples, sweetener, nutmeg and allspice and orange zest and juice, stir well to combine and simmer for about 5 mins until apples are tender and they start to break down, remove from hob and put to one side to cool, you may need to mash them slightly.
- To make the topping, add the flour, oats, sweetener and flax seeds to a bowl, melt the low fat spread in a pan and pour into mixture. Stir well to combine until it is a crumb mixture, it doesn’t have to be too fine.
- Spoon half the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it out so level then top with the apple to cover then sprinkle remaining mixture all over the top. Put in oven and bake for 35-45 mins until golden.
- Remove from the oven, allow it to cool completely then slice into 16 fingers. Remove bars from tin and keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Recipe from Canderel.
For more recipes grab the latest copy of Yours, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
These breakfast bars are packed with delicious oats and stewed apple to have with your morning coffee
15g/1oz extra light spread 1 tsp Canderel Sweet Crunchy 3 eating apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (tossed in lemon juice to avoid discoloration) Pinch freshly grated nutmeg Pinch ground allspice Zest and juice of 1 orange For the topping: 150g/5oz plain flour 100g/31/2 oz rolled oats 25g/2oz Canderel Sweet Crunchy 3 tsp flax seeds 100g/31/2 oz low fat spread
Time: 15 mins Serves: 16 Nutrition: Kcal 95, Fat 0.8g, Sat Fat 0.8g