- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Generously butter an ovenproof dish.
- Heat 250ml of water in a pan until boiling and throw in the 6 star anise. Turn off the heat and leave to infuse whilst you make the sponge.
Stir together the flour, sugar. ground star anise and baking powder. Next whisk the eggs with the milk and butter.
- Combine this with the flour to make a lovely batter. Scrape into the buttered dish then scatter the apple slices on the top.
Reheat the anise infused water to just boiling. Remove the stars and press them into the surface of the batter.
- Stir the water and light brown sugar together, then pour over the apples.
Bake for 40 minutes until golden and bubbling - hopefully the bubbles will be coming from the bottom of the pudding.
- Serve with lots of cream.
Borough Market’s Apple Day celebration will take place on Sunday 26th October 2014 in the Green Market between 12pm and 4pm. For more information about Borough Market visit www.boroughmarket.org.uk.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Enjoy this sticky pudding with lashings of cream or a scoop of ice cream
6 star anise 175g self raising flour 100g dark soft brown sugar 1 tsp ground star anise 1 tsp baking powder 2 eggs 100ml milk 75g butter, melted 3 apples, cored and cut into slices 225g soft light brown sugar
Time: 25 mins Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a