- 7 Pink Lady® apples
- 340g (11.9 oz) Plain flour
- 225g (7.9 oz) Butter
- 4 Tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 Egg yolk
- 250ml (8.4 fl oz) Elderflower cordial
- 100ml (3.4 fl oz) Water
- 1 Finely grated zest of lemon
- 25g (0.8 oz) Ground almonds
- 115g (4 oz) White marzipan
- 1 Flaked almonds
- 1 Icing sugar for dusting
- Put the flour and butter into a food processor fitted with a plastic blade and whiz until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the caster sugar and whiz again. Now add the yolk and whiz again until your pastry comes together into a ball.
- Wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 45 minutes or so.
- Quarter the apples and remove the core from each piece. I don’t peel the apples as I love the pink colour of the skin but peel them if you prefer. Cut each quarter into slices, about 3mm thick at the thickest part.
- Put them into a saucepan with the cordial and water, cover and simmer the apples very gently until they are just beginning to get tender on the outside.
- Strain off the liquid and measure how much you have. If it is more than about 75ml then put it into a small saucepan and boil to reduce it to 75 ml. Stir in the zest, pour the liquid over the apples and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190 C and put a metal baking sheet into it.
- Roll out 2/3 of the pastry and line a pie dish (measuring 25cm in diameter, 5-6 cm deep) with it. Sprinkle the ground almonds on the bottom of the pie. Break the marzipan up into little chunks.
- Spoon the apples (with the elderflower syrup) into the case, scattering the chunks of marzipan as you go. Roll out the rest of the pastry and make 6 strips with which to form a lattice on the top. Moisten each end of the pastry strips and lay them across the top of the pie. Press down to seal.
- Put this into the oven on top of the baking sheet and cook until golden. It will take about 30 minutes. About 8 minutes before the end of cooking time, scatter a handful of flaked almonds on top and return to the oven – the almonds will toast in the final stage of baking. Dust the pie lightly with icing sugar before serving.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Serve with vanilla ice cream, fresh pouring cream or custard for an extra treat!