- 150g TREX
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2tsp almond essence
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 200g ground almonds
- 200g instant polenta
- Pinch salt
- 2tsp baking powder
- 120g blueberries
- 200g cream cheese
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- A few toasted flaked almonds
- Edible flowers – we used violas (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Grease a 20cm round cake tin with a little TREX, then line with baking paper.
- Beat the TREX and caster sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light in texture, then gradually beat in the eggs. Stir in the almond essence, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add the ground almonds, polenta, salt and baking powder, mixing thoroughly. Reserve a few blueberries for decoration, then stir the rest into the cake mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 50-55 minutes, or until a fine skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Remove the lining paper.
- To decorate, mix the cream cheese and vanilla extract together and spread it onto the cake. Scatter with toasted flaked almonds and the reserved blueberries. Finish off with edible flowers, if using.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Check the label on the baking powder to make sure that it’s gluten-free – most varieties are! To make the cake dairy-free, serve it without the frosting.