You will need...
- Glue dots or glue gun
- 3 x 10cm (3 x 4in) pre-waxed votive wicks
- 3 small brioche tins or metal jelly moulds – roughly 150ml (5floz) capacityGlue dots or glue gun
- 6 wick-supporting sticks (or wooden cooking skewers cut in half)
- 750g (27oz) flaked soy wax – about 225g (7½oz) or roughly twice the volume of your tin for each mould
- 6 small elastic bands
- Small pan or metal mixing bowl
- Large saucepan
- Optional: fragrance oil
Step 1: Using a glue gun, or a glue dot, fix a pre-waxed wick securely to the bottom of each of your tins. Allow the glue to set. The wick needs to be secure before you pour in the wax or it will float up and fall over before the wax has time to set.
Step 2: Take a pair of sticks or skewers. Hold the sticks or skewers tightly together and then wrap a small elastic band round both ends, tying them together. Rest the sticks across the rim of the tin and thread the wick between the two sticks to keep it upright.
Step 3: Place the flaked soy wax in a small heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water over a medium heat. Add about three drops of fragrance oil (if using) to the wax. Allow the wax to melt down and stir to disperse the fragrance oil. Once melted, the wax will appear completely clear. It will also be very hot so take care.
Step 4: Pour a small amount of the hot liquid wax into the bottom of your prepared tins to just cover the metal disc of the wick in each one. Leave the wax to harden and firm up for 10 minutes. Allowing a little of the wax to form a disc around the wick will make sure that they stay in place for the main pour at step 5.
Step 5: Gently reheat the wax if it has hardened and then pour into your tins to within about ¼in (6mm) of the top edges. Leave the wax to cool.
Step 6: Using a pair of scissors, trim the wicks down to about 12mm (½in) from the top surface of the wax. Set aside. Leave your candles for at least 24 hours before you light them.
- This project is taken from: Take a Tin,16 Beautiful Projects for Your Home, by Jemima Schlee. Price: £12.99
- For more fun craft projects, grab the latest copy of Yours.