- 1 x 1in (25mm) square silver-colored pendant blank
- 1 x 1in (25mm) square glass cabochon
- Cat (or other pet) picture
- Finished necklace chain
- PVA glue
- Glue brush
- Cyanoacrylate glue
- Small sharp scissors
- Sticky tack
1. Print a photo of the cat; you’ll need the image to be at least 1in (25mm) in size. Use the glass cabochon to select the part of the image you want to feature in the pendant.
2. Hold the cabochon in place and mark all four sides with a pencil. Don’t draw all the way around as the cabochon’s corners are slightly rounded and you need a sharp square edge.
3. Take the ruler and line it up with your marks from step 2, then draw in the complete lines so they cross over in the corners. Cut the shape out with sharp-pointed scissors.
4. Take the PVA glue and coat the picture. Make sure you coat both sides and go right over the edges. Do this in two steps, allowing the first side to dry before turning over to coat the other side. This will stop the cyanoacrylate glue from soaking into the paper and spoiling the pendant.
5. When you are sure the picture is completely dry, place a small drop of cyanoacrylate glue in the pendant and place the picture over the top. Smooth over the picture to make sure the glue spreads out. Allow to completely dry.
6. Place another couple of drops of cyanoacrylate glue on the picture and place the glass cabochon on top. With a piece of sticky tack, push down firmly on the glass cabochon—this will force any air bubbles out from under the glass and will also spread the glue out to an even, thin coat. Hold until you are sure the glue will stay in place, then leave the tack on the glass until the pendant has completely dried.
7. Take the tack off the glass and thread the chain through the pendant bail to finish.
Be careful not to use too much cyanoacrylate glue, because it is thin it will spread a long way and could stick you to the pendant too! Pendant blanks come in lots of different shapes and finishes so pick the style that suits you the best. You could attach it to a keyring if you prefer.
Taken from Cats by Sian Hamilton, published by GMC (£9.99, available from www.thegmcgroup.com)
There's more craft in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.