You will need:
- Calico-stuffed owl shape
- Pinking shears
- Embroidery threads
1. Start by choosing the fabric and the buttons that you want to use.
2. Cut 1cm wide strips of your chosen fabric using the pinking shears.
3. Starting at the bottom of the owl stitch on the fabric strips using a whip-stitch (align the two pieces of fabric, and stitch diagonally over their edge to join them).
4. Continue to layer the fabrics, working up the body
to the top of the owl slightly overlapping the fabric strips
as you go.
5. Once the whole of the front of the owl is covered in the fabric strips, repeat the process on the back of the owl.
6. Using the stuffed owl base as a guide, trim your strips to make the contour of your owl using pinking shears.
7. Apply the buttons for the owl’s eyes and the beak by hand-stitching them on, making sure to go through the calico base fabric as well as the top layer of fabric.
8. Using embroidery threads, embroider two wing outlines using a continuous running stitch.