You will need:
- 400g (14oz) of bird seed
- 1 packet of gelatine (20g) (0.7oz)
- Spray oil
- cookie cutters (we used heart, star and tree shapes)
- Baking parchment paper
- Drinking straws
- Makes: 4-6 depending on the size of the moulds
- Time to make: 20 minutes
- Make up the gelatine sheet mixture according to the instructions on the packet.
- Gently heat the mixture until all the gelatine has dissolved.
- Add the melted gelatine to a large mixing bowl containing the bird seed and stir together.
- Line a baking tray with parchment and spray the inside of the cookie cutters with the oil so the bird mix doesn’t stick.
- Once the bird seed mixture is cool spoon it into the cookie cutters and pat down. Cut a drinking straw into thirds and push one third into the center of each mould. This will create a hole for the twine to go through.
- Put the bird seeds cakes, still in their moulds, into the freezer to set for about 3 hours. Once set, remove from the freezer.
- Carefully push the cake out of the mould and pull out the straw. Thread a piece of twine through the hole and tie together to make a loop from which they can hang.
There's more simple craft ideas in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.