Suitable for: Intermediates
Time to make: One hour per puppet
Materials (makes one bunny):
- White yarn/wool
- One sheet of white felt
- One sheet bright coloured felt
- White embroidery thread
- Black embroidery thread
- Pale pink embroidery thread
- Small silver bell
How to make:
- Draw a silhouette of a bunny measuring approximately 10cm high.
- Using the template cut two bunnies from the white felt, and two from the coloured felt.
- Layer up the bunny – white, colour, colour, white, and pin.
- Take some white embroidery thread, knot the end and sew from the bunny’s bottom up to the ear with a running stitch. Separate the ears so that one white piece is together with one coloured piece. Sew first along one ear, and then along the other.
- Sew to the bottom of the bunny, then along each edge to secure the coloured and white felt together.
- To embroider the face, mark in pencil where the nose and eyes will go.
- For the nose, tie a knot in the end of some pink embroidery thread and insert the needle up the inside of the bunny. Come out through your pencil mark and sew around the edge to the other side, returning to the same hole. Repeat a few times, spreading out the stitches to form a nose shape. Knot the thread on the inside of the bunny.
- Use black thread for the eyes. Come up through the hole as before and stitch a small notch on each side of the face, knotting as before.
- For the whiskers, tie a knot in the end of the white thread, pull the needle out through the cheek and cut at about 1 cm. Separate the strands and repeat on the other side.
- To make the pom pom tail, wrap wool around a fork 20 times. Carefully remove the wool from the fork and tie a small piece around the middle. Pull tightly and secure with a double knot. Cut the loops and trim the pom pom so it is even and fluffy. Sew the pom pom tail onto the side of the bunny.
- Finally, use standard white thread to sew a little bell under the chin of the bunny.
Projects from www.hobbycraft.co.uk
There's more craft in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.