- 1 pack Lion Brand Bonbons Beach Collection containing 8 mini balls.
- 1 10g ball White (colour A), 1 10g ball Black (colour B), 1 10g ball Orange (colour C), 1 10g ball Turquoise (colour D),1 10g ball Yellow (colour E),1 10g ball Purple (colour F),1 10g ball Seafoam Green (colour G),1 10g ball Red (colour H)
- 3.5mm (UK 9) crochet hook.
- Polyester toy stuffing.
- Stitch marker
Each penguin is approximately 7.5cm(3in) tall.
7 sts and 6 rows = 10cm/4in square over double crochet using 3.5mm hook.
It is essential to work to the stated tension to ensure success.
Ch – chain; cm – centimetre; dc – double crochet; htr – half treble; mm – millimetre, sl st – slip stitch; st(s) – stitch(es); tog – together.
Note: Work in a continuous spiral; do not turn or join at the end of the round. Use stitch markers to keep track of your rounds.
Rnd 1: with colour b, work 6dc into an adjustable ring. 6sts.
Rnd 2: 2dc into each st around.12sts.
Rnd 3: [2dc in the next st, 1dc] 6 times.18sts.
Rnd 4: [2dc in the next st, 2dc] 6 times. 24sts.
Rnds 5–14: dc in each st around.
Rnd 15: [dc2tog, 2dc] 6 times. 18sts.
Insert polyester stuffing before continuing.
Rnd 16: [dc2tog, 1dc] 6 times. 12sts.
Rnd 17: [dc2tog] 6 times. 6sts.
Fasten off, leaving a 75cm/30in tail; pull tight.
Using the yarn tail, ch 30, sl st to the base of the chain to form a ring to hang the penguin.
Weave in loose ends.
With colour A, ch6.
Row 1: starting in 2nd ch from hook, dc across, turn. 5sts.
Rows 2–6: ch1, dc across, turn. 5sts.
Row 7: ch1, miss the first st, [3htr in next st, sl st in next st] twice
Border: dc evenly around the three straight sides.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
WING (MAKE 2)
With colour B, ch5.
Row 1: starting in the 2nd ch from the hook, dc in each ch. 4sts.
Row 2: ch 1, miss the first st, 3dc. 3sts.
Row 3: ch 1, miss the first st, 2dc. 2sts.
Row 4: ch 1, miss the first st, 1dc.
Border: dc evenly around the whole wing.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail to sew to the body of the penguin.
With colour C, D, E, F, G, or H, ch51, starting in the 2nd ch from
hook, sl st across.
Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Using the picture as a guide, sew the wings to the sides of the penguin and sew the tummy/face to the body.
With colour E, join the yarn where you would like the first foot to be placed, then ch 3, sl st in the same spot (one “claw” made), continue in the same way to make a three clawed foot then fasten off. Make the other foot using the same method.
With colour B, make two French knots for the eyes.
With colour E, embroider a little triangle for the beak using straight stitch.
Weave in all ends.
- Taken from Crochet Christmas by Salena Baca, published by Stackpole Books, available from Search Press. Yours readers can buy a copy with free postage in the UK at www.searchpress.com
- Stockists: Yarn available from www.delamores.com, or call 0800 488 0708
- There's more craft in every issue of Yours.