What makes you happy? They say it’s the little things in life and new research by new deal-hunting smartphone app Spirini has confirmed it.
Bagging a shopping bargain, finding a £10 note and getting a compliment are among the top 50 little moments that make us happiest.
Seeing an old couple holding hands, seeing the sunshine, getting into a bed with fresh sheets, and the smell of bacon also help to brighten our day. Other happy moments include seeing a dog with their head sticking out of the car window, being surprised with flowers or chocolates and the first coffee of the day.
Also in the top 50 is seeing an old couple holding hands, watching funny animal videos and the smell of freshly-cut grass.
Having a good hair day features high in the list, along with seeing a baby smile and waking up at the weekend and realising you don’t have to go to work.
Perfectly toasted toast, the lift arriving the second you push the button and getting some juicy gossip from a pal also make us smile.
Don't worry, be happy
Unfortunately for many, the hustle and bustle of everyday life means the average person is only happy for 5 hours 33 minutes on a typical day. The research found that UK adults are typically happy four times a day and we are at our happiest when we are 26 years old.
Over half of respondents consider themselves to be happy more often than not – just 16 per cent described themselves as generally unhappy.
Nine out of 10 Brits said they like to be spontaneous – although 47 per cent admit they aren’t impromptu enough. And six in 10 people polled said they rely on others for a spot of spontaneity – in fact the typical UK adult is pleasantly surprised four times a day on average.
Top 50 little things that make us happy
- Getting a bargain
- Getting into a bed with freshly ironed sheets
- Seeing the sunshine
- Finding a forgotten tenner in your pocket
- Being told you’ve lost weight
- Funny animal videos
- Someone telling you that you look nice
- Seeing a baby’s smile
- Smell of freshly cut grass
- Seeing an older couple holding hands
- When daffodils come into bloom
- A lie in
- When your favourite song comes on the radio
- The smell of bacon
- Having a good hair day
- Being surprised with flowers or chocolate
- Someone thinking you’re younger than you actually are
- A spontaneous hug/kiss/I love you from your kids
- Being spontaneous
- Waking up at the weekend (or Bank Holiday) and realising you don’t have to go to work
- First coffee or tea of the morning
- Home time after a day at work
- Hearing one of your children/grandchildren has been super polite
- Seeing your children/grandchildren win something
- Being greeted by your dog
- When a pen writes nicely
- Perfectly -toasted toast
- Finding a really comfy bra
- Seeing dogs stick their head out of car windows
- Getting asked for ID even though you’re clearly old enough to drink
- The lift arriving the second you push the button
- When your cake rises
- Catching your train in time
- Getting some juicy gossip from a friend
- Seeing people fall over
- Finding a forgotten bottle of your favourite tipple in the fridge/cupboard
- Feeling particularly energetic at a sports class
- Beating the traffic and speedily getting to work
- Falling asleep in front of the TV
- Getting new make-up/cosmetics
- Sound of Champagne corks popping
- Pouring a perfect beer
- Putting on a new pair of socks
- Taking a nice selfie
- Overtaking a smart Alec on the motorway
- Seeing a celebrity you don’t like get caught out
- Having just enough milk for a bowl of cereal
- Managing to perfectly mow lines into your garden lawn
- Peeling an apple in one long peel
- Overtaking another runner when you’re out for a jog
- For more money-saving tips, pick up the latest copy of Yours magazine