While diet alone can go a long way to helping you reduce belly fat and get your waist back, if you want to see results faster, regular exercise is the answer.
Try to build exercise into your daily routine and spend less time sitting down. Aim for 20-30 minutes of aerobic exercise, three times a week, such as walking, dancing or swimming – you should notice a rise in your heart rate.
Building your muscle strength with regular resistance exercises is important too. Do up to 12 repetitions of each of these exercises, twice a week and when this feels easy, try to do another set of 12, then ultimately a third set. Alternate them so you work on different muscle groups for both the upper and lower body.
Push-ups (works your arms and chest)
- Start on your hands and knees with your knees hip-width apart and your hands beneath your shoulders. Pull in your stomach muscles and keep your back flat.
- Bend your arms and lower your chest towards the mat slowly. Then slowly push back up to the start position. Repeat 12 times.
Tricep dips (tightens the backs of your arms)
- Sit on the edge of the bottom step of your stairs or sturdy chair placed against the wall, with your feet flat on the floor and your hands by your sides gripping the front of the step
- or chair.
- Move your bottom forward off the step, bend your elbows and lower your bottom towards the floor. Pause at the bottom then use your arms to push yourself back up until your arms are straight again. Repeat
- 12 times.
Leg and arm raises (strengthens your core)
- Start on all fours with your knees hip-width apart and your hands beneath your shoulders. Pull in your stomach muscles and keep your back flat.
- Slowly extend your right leg straight out behind you and your left arm out in front of you, keeping your core and back still and strong. Slowly lower back to the start position and repeat with the left leg and right arm. Repeat 12 times on each side.
Stomach crunches (flatten your tummy and strengthen your core)
- Lie on your back with your knees bent, your feet flat on the floor and your hands at your temples,
- or if you’re just starting out, cross your arms over your chest.
- Tighten your stomach muscles and use them to lift your head and shoulders off the floor. Pause at the top then lower back down to the ground. Repeat 12 times.
Dumbbell squat (tones and strengthens your thighs and bottom)
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, shoulders back and down, core tight and with a dumbbell or water bottle in each hand.
- Bend your knees and lower your bottom back and down towards the floor, keeping your hands at your sides. Keep your weight on your heels, ensure your knees don’t bend further forward than your toes. Pause at the bottom then slowly stand back up. Repeat 12 times.
Bicep curls (works your upper arms)
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, shoulders back and down, core tight and with a dumbbell or water bottle in each hand, your palms facing upwards.
- Keeping elbows tucked in, bring your hands up towards your shoulders. Pause then lower back down slowly. Repeat 12 times.
- Join our FREE diet club today!