Protect your dog or cat from poisonous plants

Protect your dog or cat from poisonous plants
dog-flowers

It feels like spring has finally sprung, and we can't wait to fill our homes with bouquets of fresh flowers! But did you know many of our seasonal favourites can be highly toxic to our dogs and cats? Battersea Dogs and Cats Home has released the following information to help protect your pets.

  • Lilies

Lilies are popular and pretty flowers but the sweet scent of lilies can attract your curious cat and can cause severe kidney failure if they ingest any part of this flower. Brushing against the pollen can cause particles to cling to their fur which can be ingested during grooming. Certain types of lilies can also be harmful to dogs. Avoid having these types of plants in your house.

  • Daffodils

Often associated with spring and Mother’s Day in the UK, any portion of this plant can be highly toxic to cats. It can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, convulsions and can cause a drop in blood pressure. The bulb of a daffodil is the most dangerous part of the plant for both dogs and cats.

  • Tulips and hyacinths

The bulb of a tulip is poisonous to dogs and cats. Eating this can cause vomiting and breathing difficulties.

  • Aloe Vera

Although this plant has great healing properties for human skin, there are parts of this plant that are dangerous to your dog or cat. The white sap that comes out when the leaf is broken is poisonous to your pets. 

  • Ivy

These are familiar plants in and around the home but for our four-legged friend ingesting its leaves in large quantities can cause breathing difficulties or a coma.

  • Dieffenbachia

Also known as dumb cane, these plants may have a name you might not know, but they are a common houseplant that can cause oral irritation, vomiting, a burning sensation of the lips, tongue and mouth, leading to breathing difficulties in dogs and cats.

Other common flowers and plants that are poisonous includes foxgloves, azaleas, crocus and cyclamen (also known as sowbread).

If you think your dog or cat has been in contact with any of these plants or have any of these symptoms, seek veterinary care straight away. Remove any toxic plants from the house if you think they might be dangerous and check any flower or plant before bringing it into your home.

Alternatively, if your pet is quite the chewer - it might be a good idea to purchase edible cat grass, cat mint or catnip for felines to chew safely instead. For canines, moving houseplants out of reach and spraying houseplants with natural pet repellent (rather than chemical ones) may also deter them away from the plants.

  • Did you know? Mistletoe is more in line with the winter season, but it’s also poisonous to dogs and cats – so if you still wanted that Christmas romance – it may be advisable to get plastic ones instead!