- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Place the sweet potatoes in the oven and bake until cooked through.
- Place the whole onions, including the skins, in a pan of water and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer until they feel soft when you insert the tip of a knife. Remove and leave to cool.
- In a large pan, bring the milk, thyme, garlic and bay leaf to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave for 20 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse. Return the milk to the boil and add the haddock. Cook for 2-4 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool.
- Once the onions have cooled, cut off the tops and set aside. Gently scoop out the onion flesh. Chop 3/4 of the scooped out flesh from one onion and put it in a large bowl. Place the onion shells upside down to allow any juices to drain out.
- Scoop out the flesh from the baked sweet potatoes, mash and place in the bowl with the onion.
- Drain the haddock (keeping the cooking liquid). Remove the skin and any bones, flake the flesh and place in the bowl with the sweet potatoes.
- Remove the garlic from the milk and add to the sweet potato and haddock. Mix together with the paprika, herbs, half of the cheese and a little of the reserved milk.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/gas mark 4. Spoon the sweet potato mix into the onion shells and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar. Place the onions in a tray with a little water, with the top of each onion next to it. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Place the top back on the cooked onion and serve.
© Felice Tocchini 2014
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This dish is ideal as main meal when served with salad or vegetables
300g sweet potatoes 6 large onions 300ml milk 2 sprigs of thyme 2 garlic cloves 1 bay leaf 300g undyed smoked haddock 1/2 tsp smoked paprika Small bunch each of basil and parsley, chopped 100g mature cheddar cheese, grated Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Time: 1 hour Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a