- Add oil to a saucepan and cook the chopped onion, carrots and celery and cook until they are golden brown.
- When the vegetables have browned, add the pearl barley and stir for 1 min. Follow by adding the white wine and stir until absorbed.
- Next begin pouring in the vegetable stock very slowly, stirring at the same time until fully absorbed. Keep adding stock as required. When no more stock is required and the mixture is nice and thick, add the passata, oregano and basil and cook until barley is tender (20 mins). Use more stock if required.
- Adjust the liquid level of your soup by adding more stock if you require it to be more liquid.
- Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and add some grated Parmesan and parsley. Season with black pepper if desired
Recipe from www.cirio1856.co.uk.
Costs just £1.42 per serving.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Freeze left-over wine in ice-cube trays then drop them into stews, stocks or sauces for added flavour
Extra-virgin olive oil 1 onion, chopped 2 carrots, chopped 1 celery stick, chopped 250g (9oz) of pearl barley 1 glass of dry white wine 300ml (10floz) of vegetable stock 400g (14oz) passata Handful of dried oregano Handful of dried basil 50g (2oz) of Parmesan cheese, grated Parsley to taste Black pepper
Time: 5 minutes Serves: 4 Nutrition: 400 Cals, 11g Fat, 3.5g Sat Fat