- Sprinkle the oats onto a plate and season with a pinch of salt and plenty of pepper. Beat one of the eggs in a shallow bowl. Dip each kipper fillet into the egg and roll it in the seasoned oats.
- Line a roasting tin with foil, dull side up. Place the mackerel in the tin and squeeze over the lemon juice before cooking for 15 minutes at 200°C/Gas mark 6.
- Meanwhile, place the sliced mushrooms on a baking sheet and place under a hot grill for 3-4 minutes. Put the spinach in a pan with a splash of boiling water and cook over a medium heat until just wilted.
- When ready to serve, drain the spinach and season with salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg, and sprinkle over the pine nuts.
- Tip the grilled mushrooms and the released juices over the spinach and divide between two plates. Top each one with a mackerel fillet.
Recipe from Bacofoil.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Why not ditch the chippy fish and chips on a Friday for this healthy, yet delicious alternative?
100g porridge oats 1 egg 2 mackerel fillets Juice of half a lemon 100g mushrooms, sliced 100g spinach leaves Pinch ground nutmeg 1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Time: 15 minutes Serves: 2 Nutrition: n/a