- Put everything, except the Old Speckled Hen, into a large saucepan. Heat over a low heat until the sugar has all dissolved.
- Gently bring the mixture to the boil and simmer it for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently to stop it sticking to the pan. Take care while the mixture boils and during stirring, as the fudge will be very hot!
- If you have a sugar thermometer boil until the temperature reaches 118°C.
- If you do not have one after simmering for 10 minutes, drop some mixture into a glass of ice cold water. If it forms a soft ball of fudge, it is ready. If not boil for a little longer and repeat the process.
- Take the fudge off the heat and beat with a wooden spoon, adding a splash of Old Speckled Hen every few seconds. Beat for about 8-10 minutes until it goes thick and firm and beginning to set
- Pour the mix into a greaseproof-lined tin. Let it cool for about half an hour and then cut into squares.
Recipe from Old Speckled Hen
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Makes a wonderful gift for all ocassions. Just find a pretty box and some charming decorations to go with it
420g demerara sugar 115ml milk 120g unsalted butter 1 x 397g of condensed milk 60-80ml Old Speckled Hen
Time: 30 minutes Serves: n/a Nutrition: n/a