- Prepare the pasta according to the packet instructions in a large saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan fry the bacon until cooked through and crispy. To this, add the finely chopped leek.
- Once they are both cooked, take the pan from the heat and keep to one side.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan and then whisk in the flour. Mix until a smooth paste is formed.
- Little by little add the milk, with the pan still on the heat, whisking after each addition and until the milk is all incorporated.
- Add the yogurt or cre?me fraiche and cheese and continue to stir until the cheese is melted.
- Drain the cooked pasta and return to the saucepan, pour over the cheese sauce and toss well.
- Spoon the macaroni cheese into serving dishes and top with the reserved fried bacon and leek and scatter with breadcrumbs, extra cheese and parmesan.
- Place the dishes under a hot grill for the cheese to melt and the topping to become nice & crisp.
A firm family favourite dish, made gourmet!
350g dried macaroni pasta 100g streaky bacon, un-smoked, chopped into bite size pieces 1 leek, finely chopped 100g breadcrumbs 100g medium cheddar cheese, grated 15g parmesan cheese, grated Sauce: 30g unsalted butter 30g plain flour 285ml whole milk 200g Greek Style natural set yogurt or Rachel's cre?me fraiche 200g medium cheddar cheese, grated Salt & black pepper
Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4 Nutrition: 1038 Cal, 59.5 Fat, 35.8g Sat fat (per 350g serving)