- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 3-4 mins, until softened.
- Add the carrots and mushrooms and fry, stirring, for 3 mins. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for 30 seconds. Add the mince and fry for 3-4 mins, until browned. Stir in the tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10-12 mins, until reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, melt the butter. Add the cornflour and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly, until you have a thick sauce.
- Stir in half the Cheddar and season with black pepper. Set aside.
- Remove the mince mixture from the heat and stir in the basil. Pour one-third of the mixture into a large ovenproof dish. Lay one-third of the lasagne sheets across it, then cover the with one-third of the béchamel sauce.
- Repeat twice. Sprinkle with the remaining Cheddar and season with black pepper. Bake for 30-35 mins, until golden brown and bubbling. Garnish with basil leaves.
- Recipe from recipes-plus.co.uk
- There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
A classic lasagne recipe sure to bring the famly to the table
1 tbsp olive oil 1 onion, peeled and chopped 1 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed 2 carrots, peeled and diced 150g (5oz) mushrooms, sliced 1 tbsp tomato purée 600g (1lb 4oz) beef mince 2 x 400g (14oz) cans chopped tomatoes 200ml (7fl oz) hot vegetable stock 75g (3oz) butter 75g (3oz) cornflour 800ml (1 1/2 pt) semi-skimmed milk 150g Cheddar, grated 12 sheets lasagne Handful fresh basil, chopped, plus extra for garnish
Time: 40 mins Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a