- To make the mince: In a saucepan fry the mince in hot oil. When it's browned add the diced onion and garlic and chilli. Fry for 5 mins and keep stirring so it doesn't burn. Add the spices, red wine and boil the wine down.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, Worcester sauce and gently simmer for 30 mins or until it is nice and saucy like a ragu. Set to one side
- Heat the oven to 200°c /gas mark 6 slice the aubergine into 1cm cubes and season and oil. Place in the oven and roast for 10-15 mins until soft and golden. Remove and set to one side
- To make the white sauce: Melt the butter in a small pan. Stir in the flour and mix until smooth.
- Add the bay leaf and the milk a little at a time. Keep stirring on the heat so it thickens. When all the milk is added add The Lake District Dairy Co. Quark and season.
- You should have a thick creamy sauce. If it’s a little tight add a splash more milk
- Take a suitable oven dish and add half the mince on the bottom, then a layer of aubergines and a layer of white sauce. Repeat the layers.
- Top with grated cheese and bake for 25 mins at 200°c/Gas Mark 6 until crispy
Recipe from www.lakedistrictquark.co.uk
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Serve this creamy classic Greek dish with salad or green beans
200g lamb mince 1 onion diced 2 garlic cloves crushed 1 green chilli 1 tsp of coriander, cumin seeds 100ml red wine 1 tin tomatoes 1 tbsp Worcester sauce 1 big pinch of smoked paprika Salt and pepper 1 aubergine Olive oil Salt and pepper White sauce 30g butter 25g flour 200ml milk 200g The Lake District Co. Quark Salt and pepper 1 bay leaf 50g grated cheddar
Time: 25 mins Serves: 4-6 Nutrition: n/a