- Cut the pork into 6 slices and remove the skin.
- Peel, cut in half and finely chop the onion. Halve the peppers, remove any white pith, seeds and green stalk and chop finely.
- Put the stock cube in a bowl, add the chilli flakes and powder, garlic granules, paprika, cumin, brown sugar and basil, add some black pepper and a little salt – pour over the boiling water and stir until dissolved.
- Put the chopped peppers and onions into a slow cooker, top with the spiced boiling water and the 2 tins of chopped tomato – lay the pork strips on the top – gently push into the tomato – cover with the lid.
- Cook on high for 6-7 hours or on low for 9-10 hours (consult your cooker manual as all makes vary).
- Alternatively, cook in the oven in a covered casserole dish at 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3 for 5 hours.
- Heat through the red kidney beans and chickpeas with the liquid from the cans, then drain.
- Break/pull the pork with 2 forks into bite-sized pieces – add the beans – mix well and serve.
- Great served with tortillas, some soured cream dip and some grated cheddar cheese.
For more seasonal recipes head to Aldi's recipe section.
For more warming winter recipes, grab the latest copy of Yours, out every fornight.
If you're not keen on pork, swap it for lamb, or bulk up the bean quantity and add some pearl barley for a veggie spin
Approx. 1.5kg Ashfield Pork Shoulder Joint 1 x 3 pack of peppers 1 large onion 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes with herbs 50g light brown soft sugar 1 chicken stock cube 2 tsp garlic granules 2 tsp chilli flakes 1 tsp chilli powder 1 tsp ground cumin 1 tsp paprika 2 tsp basil 400ml boiling water 400g tin of red kidney beans 400g tin of chickpeas pinch of sea salt and black pepper
Time: 15 minutes Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a