1. Prepare the barbecue for direct grilling and indirect roasting (to the side of the coals), cooking over medium heat (180-230°C/350-450°F).
2. Whisk together the jam, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest and chilli flakes.
3. Coarsely grind or crush the fennel seeds. Pour them into a large bowl and add the remaining herbs and seasoning. Add the chicken wings and toss to coat.
4. Grill the wings directly over the heat for 10-15 minutes, with the lid closed, until golden brown.
5. Move the wings to an indirect roasting heat, brush with half the glaze, and continue grilling for about 10 minutes more, until the skin is crisp at the edges and the meat is no longer pink at the bone. During the last 5 minutes of grilling time, brush the wings evenly with any remaining glaze, turning occasionally (you may not need it all). Serve warm.
From Weber’s Big Book of BBQ by Jamie Purviance, published by Hamlyn. £16.99; www.octopusbooks.co.uk
An unusual glaze to make your wings sing...
12 chicken wings, around 1.5kg (3lb), cut in half at the joint and tips removed 225g (7½oz) seedless raspberry jam 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest ¼ tsp crushed red chilli flakes 1 tsp fennel seeds 1 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp dried basil 1 tsp sea salt ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Time: 45 minutes, including cooking time Serves: 6 Nutrition: 427 calories, 20g fat, 6g sat. fat