- Heat half the oil in a casserole dish.
- Season the chicken and brown all over in the pan. Set aside. Add the remaining oil to the pan and gently fry the shallots for 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and increase the heat. Fry until the mushrooms are golden all over.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the wine, bubble for a minute or two then add the saffron and allow it to soften in the juices.
- Pour over the stock and add the chestnuts.
- Season and simmer for about 20 minutes to reduce the sauce till lovely and glossy. Add the cream and parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice, stir together and serve.
Jose Pizarro is working with Sainsbury’s on the Little Twists campaign, championing every day food and inspiring the nation to spice up mid-week meals using simple store cupboard ingredients. Find out more here.
For more winter warmers, grab the latest copy of Yours, which is out every fortnight
Make this when you need some comfort food to keep you going, serve with some crusty bread or a pile of mash
4 tbsp olive oil 6-8 chicken thigh fillets (about 500-600g), cut into pieces 2 banana shallots, finely sliced 1 clove garlic, crushed 150g baby chestnut mushrooms, halved large glass white wine pinch saffron threads 250ml chicken stock 200g cooked chestnuts, quartered 75ml double cream handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped lemon juice to taste
Time: 15 mins Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a