- Pre heat the oven to 160c/325f/gas3
- Cut beef into large chunks. Season each piece of beef with salt and pepper and colour all over.
- Add a knob of butter and add the carrots, onions and cook until nice and brown. Stir in the flour until golden brown, add the orange juice and bring to boil.
- Add the red wine and the peel of 2 oranges, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, peppercorns and sugar and bring to the boil. Reduce by 2/3 and add the stock.
- Bring to simmer, cover with a lid and cook in the oven for an hour on 170 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the lid, spoon 4-6 of the dumpling mix (method below) on top place lid back on and place back in oven for another hour.
- Remove the lid in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- To make the dumplings bring milk, horseradish and butter to the boil.
- Stir in the semolina and cook until thick. Beat until cool then add the egg and season with salt and pepper
- Scoop onto cooking beef 1hr before
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Place the dumplings in the beef one hour before serving so it can soak up the juices
800g Organic Beef Skirt or Braising Beef Salt and Pepper 1 tbs Plain Organic Flour 4 tbs Groundnut Oil 2 Large Organic Carrots, peeled and quartered 1 White Organic Onion, quartered 250ml Dry Red Wine 2 Organic Oranges, peel and the juices 1 Fresh Bay Leaf 6 Whole Black Peppercorns 15g Demerara Sugar 400ml Beef Stock 200ml Organic Milk 80g Organic Butter 5g Grated Horseradish 90g Semolina 1 Medium Organic Egg Salt and Pepper
Time: 20 mins Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a