- Soak 6-8 short wooden skewers in cold water for 20 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce; in a large bowl mix together the sugar, soy sauce, mirin or rice wine and toasted sesame seeds. Add the beef and spring onions.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain and toss in 15ml/1tbsp of the sesame oil.
- Thread the beef and spring onions onto the skewers and cook under a preheated moderate grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, brushing with the remaining sauce.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the chilli, mushrooms and pak choi for 3-4 minutes, or until the pak choi softens.
- Add the noodles and any remaining sauce and heat for 2-3 minutes until the noodles are hot. Spoon onto a large bowl or plate.
- Add the beef yakitori on top of the noodles, garnish with the remaining sesame seeds and serve.
Recipe from www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Yakatori just means skewered foods and it's great for buffets or a light diner
350g/12oz thin cut, picanha or sirloin steaks, cut into 2.5cm/1inch pieces 8 spring onions, topped, tailed and cut into 2.5cm/1inch sticks For the Yakitori Sauce: 60ml/4tbsp light brown sugar 120ml/8tbsp light soy sauce 120ml/8tbsp Japanese mirin or rice wine 20ml/4tsp toasted sesame seeds For the Udon Noodles: 175g/6oz Udon noodles 45ml/3tbsp sesame oil 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped 100g/4oz oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped 2 pak choi, roughly chopped
Time: 10 minutes Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a