- Whip the cream with the vanilla to form soft peaks, and keep cool.
- To make the pate a bombe, cook the sugar and water in a small pan with a handle, and cook until you get melted caramel.
- In a bowl, add the eggs and yolks and start whisking. Once the mixture goes pale start adding the hot sugar. Whisk it hard until cool.
- Fold the cream slowly into the pate a bombe until smooth. Put in a round tube mould for arctic rolls and freeze.
- In the meantime, make the sponge by combining the sugar and eggs and whisking until you have twice the original volume. Fold in sieved flour and bake at 180oC for 5 mins.
- To assemble, lay out the sponge, spread raspberry jam all over it, and then roll up the pre-frozen tube of vanilla ice cream down the middle. Roll it up, and wrap it nicely with cling film. Best left in the freezer for a few hours to set again. Slice up as you need it.
Recipe from Jesse Dunford Wood from award winning gastro pub Parlour www.parlourkensal.com.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Make this ultimate retro dessert from your own kitchen
160g egg yolks 8 whole eggs 300g sugar 100ml water 1L cream 3 scraped vanilla pods For the sponge: 5 eggs 100g caster sugar 100g flour
Time: 25 minutes Serves: 4-6 Nutrition: n/a