- Grease an 18cm diameter springform cake tin and sprinkle it with 1-2 tbsp of sugar. Mix 50g of sugar, the apple slices, cinnamon, vanilla extract and 50g of butter.
- Fry the mixture in a pan for 10 mins, stirring regularly. Spread the remaining butter on the slices of bread.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas 3. Line the sides of the cake tin with squares of bread cut to size (butter-side out).
- Then line the bottom of the pan with triangular pieces of bread. Pour in half of the apple mixture and put another layer of bread triangles on top.
- Pour in the rest of the apple mixture and top it off with the rest of the bread. Sprinkle the top with 1 tsp of sugar and bake the charlotte for 30-40 mins until it's golden.
- Release the cake from the tin and serve either warm or cold, sprinkled with icing sugar and possibly decorated with berries.
- Recipe from recipes-plus.co.uk
- There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This classic with a twist tastes great when served warm custard, cream or ice cream
1.2kg (2lbs 6oz) firm apples (cox, russet), peeled, cored and sliced 10 slices white bread, with the crusts removed 100g (4oz) salted butter 50g (2oz) + 1-2 tbsp + 1 tsp sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Time: 75 mins Serves: 10 Nutrition: n/a