- 150g (5 oz) butter
- 40g (1½ oz) good quality fairtrade dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 150g (5 oz) brown sugar or light muscovado sugar
- 1tbsp greek-style natural yogurt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 150g (5 oz) plain flour
- 30g (1 oz) cocoa powder
- Generous pinch of sea salt flakes
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 50g (2 oz) light brown sugar
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- 2-3 pinches sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan oven 170°C, Gas Mark 5. Line a 23cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- Over a very low heat, gently melt the butter and chocolate, stirring occasionally. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Do this with an electric whisk on full speed for about give minutes.
- Add the yogurt and vanilla, then pour in the melted butter and chocolate and mix gently until combined.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Fold into the chocolate mixture with a pinch of sea salt, using a large metal spoon. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes and check with a skewer - it should come out clean. If not, bake for another five minutes. Cool in the tin for half an hour on a wire rack.
- For the topping, melt the butter, Tate & Lyle Soft Light Brown Sugar and Lyle’s Golden Syrup in a saucepan over a gentle heat, then boil steadily for exactly 1 minute. Cool for one or two minutes, then pour over the brownies and sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Leave to cool before cutting into nine squares.
Time: 20 mins, plus cooling
These brownies are rich and delicious and are topped with gooey salted caramel. Yum!