- Envelopes, magazines, and brown paper
- Strips of paper
- Metal ruler
- Masking tape
- Craft knife and cutting mat
- Glue stick
- Thin tube or knitting needle
- White (PVA) glue
- Straws and wires
1. To make the black and white flower, open out the envelope and cut out a 10 x 5 ½ in. (25 x 14cm) rectangle. Place it down on the cutting mat with the patterned inside facing upward and mask off 1in. (2.5cm) along each long edge. Cut vertical slits ¼ in. (6mm) apart along the middle section between the masked off areas.
2. Cut out a second rectangle, this time 8 x 3 ½ in. (20 x 9cm). Place it down on the cutting mat as before, mask off ¾ in. (18mm) along each long edge, and cut vertical slits .in. (6mm) apart along the middle. Release both rectangles from the cutting mat and turn them over.
3. Run the glue stick along near the long edges of each rectangle and then glue the edges together, without making a crease on the folded edge. Starting with the smallest frill, wrap the end around a thin tube, securing the first wrap to itself with a dab of glue and adding a little more glue at intervals as you roll it up.
4. Glue the end and then add the larger frill around the outside in the same way, lining up the bases of the frills. Let dry.
5. Remove the tube or knitting needle for flat decorations. For a flower with a stem, add some glue to the top ½ in. (12mm) of a clear plastic straw and push it up into the flower.
Do not put glue onto the entire length of the frill before you roll it up, because then you will probably get glue all over the petals.
Cut out one 12 x 5 ½ in. (30 x 14cm) rectangle from a magazine page for the outer frill. Mask off 1in. (2.5cm) along each long edge, and cut vertical slits ¼ in. (6mm) apart. For the inner frill, cut out an 8 x 3 ½ in. (20 x 9cm) rectangle from a magazine page. Mask off ¾ in. (18mm) along each length, and cut vertical slits 1⁄8in. (3mm) apart. To make a covered stem, wrap a ¼ in. (6mm) strip of magazine around a bamboo skewer.
For a smaller version, make one frill using a 9 x 3in. (23 x 7.5cm) rectangle cut from a magazine page, masking off ½ in. (12mm) and with 1⁄8in. (3mm) cuts. Use a slender silver wire for a stem.
Project taken from Paper Flowers by Denise Brown, published by Cico, priced £12.99.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.