Whether you're a real Tom and Barbs or a horticultural novice, the British Red Cross is encouraging you to enjoy your garden in the company of family, friends or neighbours this summer – whilst raising money for people facing crisis around the world
Your gardening know-how isn’t important- what matters is enjoying your beautiful borders in the company of others as part of a new fundraising scheme called ‘Proud of Your Garden’. You could host an afternoon tea, a barbecue or picnic - or if you fancy being a bit more adventurous, organise a treasure hunt or garden games – and invite donations from everyone who enjoys your hospitality. Even if your garden is more backyard than bijou, you can get still get involved and have fun.
If you fancy joining in, you can download invitations, as well as getting plenty of handy fundraising ideas and gardening tips from professional gardener Tamsin Westhorpe, who is editor of The English Garden magazine, over on the British Red Cross website.
Tamsin, who is planning a mini-sports day in her garden for her son’s friends, thinks that everyone should be proud of whatever outdoor space they have: “I have been a professional gardener for over 20 years and strongly believe that gardens need to be shared, however small and unmanaged,” she said.
Here's a few of Tasmin's top tips for preparing your garden ready for some charitable fun in the sun:
- Trim your lawn edges with a half-moon edging iron (or a spade) to get super-straight, clean lines.
- ‘Plug plants’ – young individual plants, which are widely available at garden centres - are a good way to cheat and add instant colour to the garden.
- Invite people over! Your gathering could be for close friends and family, only – or you might want to invite the whole street.
- Think of different ways to raise some money and turn your event into life-saving cash: from raffles to plant sales, a tombola or quiz.
- Ask local shops for help, and invite them to donate any goodies or ingredients. The Red Cross can provide a headed letter to ask them.
To get involved and show off your garden, apply for a Proud of Your Garden pack here or by calling 0844 412 2811.