Skip to content

Forums

• Read updates on Forum functionality

> Service Annoucements

• Please give us feedback, report problems or suggest improvements. Please remember to include the URL of the page. 

>
SEND US AN EMAIL

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

You are in... Forums > General Chat Forum > Gardening and Nature Watch > SNOWDROPS IN FLOWER JANUARY 7TH 2012

Go to most recent reply

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

SNOWDROPS IN FLOWER JANUARY 7TH 2012

Never ceases to give me joy when I first sight snowdrops in flower.  I first noticed them in our garden on the 7th and more and more are springing up and flowering daily.

Also noticed that most daffodils are about 8 inches tall, a few have flowering stalks with the bud and we have just one over a foot tall with flowering bud head obviously keen to herald Spring.

Anyone else enjoying seeing early flowers in their garden?

We do have the odd few roses in flower, plus lithodora and aubrettia in flower, but sparsely.

Ann from Pembrokeshire, Wales previously Buckinghamshire, England

Reply to this Topic 

teal

Feb 10

teal says:

Re: SNOWDROPS IN FLOWER JANUARY 7TH 2012

Hi Ann  saw these today and some narcissus . 

Attached images:

1. lakes 003  

Dot

Reply to this Topic 

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

Oh beautiful Dot.  They do love to grow in thick clumps dont they?  How cheering it is to see them!

Reply to this Topic 

Beryl Chaplin

Dec 08

Hi.

On New Years Day I saw a couple of yellow crocuses and now they are in several places. The local primary school children planted them. I have two clumps of snowdrops in bloom.

Keep seeing squirrels about - do they not hibernate anymore?

Beryl

Reply to this Topic 

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

Hi Beryl, what a joy to see crocus in the winter!  Beautiful.

I did not know that squirrels hibernated Beryl.  I thought they hid acorns and the like ready to dig up during the winter when food would be scarce?

Reply to this Topic 

blue eyes

Apr 08

blue eyes says:

Hello again Ann.  Well where i live now we dont have a garden as such as its all paved. We have pots but i havent got round to sorting them yet. Hoping to get them sorted this year though as i love my flowers. 

Next door still have geraniums flowering........ Can you believe that!  No wonder though as it has been such a mild winter hasent it.

Take care Love Nancyxxxx

faires

Attached images:

1. blue eyes sigges  

Nancy from Great Yarmouth Norfolk.

Reply to this Topic 

AnnFirstome

Jan 09

AnnFirstome says:

Hi Nancy, we too have paving, shingle over weed supressant and bark on rose border and several pots.  However, we have a hedge and the bulbs were planted at the base of the hedge.

Yes, I have kept geraniums in flower all winter when the winter has been very mild and they were laid on their side in a sheltered part of my garden.

We are getting larger and larger clumps of snowdrops each day now.  Makes one think that Spring is around the corner>

Reply to this Topic 

Page

Post a message in Gardening and Nature Watch

To post a reply to this topic, please Log In.

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to our terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. Read full terms of use

Receive our newsletter